Javascript isn't enabled on your computer.
TRADOC Band TRADOC Home Page Army Logo Army Home PageSkip Navigation Links

History of the U.S. Army Training and Doctrine Command Band

The history of the U.S. Army Training and Doctrine Command (TRADOC) Band is a unique mixture of two organizations, with roots that can be traced to both the Artillery Corps, and the tradition of training and preparing Soldiers to fight, survive and win.

The Band was originally organized April 30, 1931 as the Band, 2nd Coast Artillery, in the Panama Canal Zone. In April, 1932, the 2nd Coast Artillery was deactivated and transferred to Fort Monroe, Virginia, where it assumed the duties of the recently deactivated 12th Coast Artillery. Among the band's new responsibilities at "Freedom's Fortress" was provision of ceremonial support to the Coast Artillery School.

Following World War II, the Coast Artillery Corps was abolished. On October 1, 1944, the 2nd Coast Artillery Regiment became the 2nd Coast Artillery Battalion. On May 12, 1944, in accordance with this change, the Band was re-designated as the 69th Army Ground Forces Band, but retained its affiliation with the Coast Artillery School. In May, 1946, the band, along with the Coast Artillery School, was transferred to Fort Winfield Scott, California, where it remained until it was inactivated on October 26, 1946.

On October 18, 1945, the 50th Army Ground Forces Band was constituted and activated at Fort George G. Meade, Maryland. The next day, it was transferred for a short duration to Camp Pickett, Virginia, returning to Fort Meade on April 16, 1946. On November 14, 1946, the Band was transferred to its current location at Fort Monroe, Virginia. It was re-designated as the 50th Army Band on May 15, 1947. On December 19, 1952, the 50th Army Band was allotted to the Regular Army. On June 24, 1972 the 50th Army Band was designated as The U.S. Continental Army Band. Shortly thereafter, on September 30, 1972, the Continental Army Band and California's 69th Army Ground Forces Band were consolidated at Fort Monroe to form the current organization.

On February 15, 2006, the Band was redesignated as The United States Army Training and Doctrine Command Band, signifying its important role in support of the mission of The United States Army Training and Doctrine Command (TRADOC). Today, under the proud flag of the TRADOC, the Band's Soldiers continue the honored tradition of service established by the 2nd Coast Artillery Band and the 69th Army Ground Forces Band - musical and ceremonial support of the trainers of America's Soldiers, and bringing their stories to the American people.

Click here to see past commanders of the TRADOC Band